Monday, March 22, 2010

I Thought Way Too Highly of Myself

Recognize this Shirt?

The Chinn's have a cub scout! Hooray! We've had Scout Committee Meeting at our house for three years now and Young Baden has been chompin' at the bit to be involved. Every month he helps Mr. Chinn set up chairs and put out refreshments. Now that he's turned 8 the big night has arrived. We've been thrilled for Baden to start scouts! And since buying the Wolf Book, he's hardly put it down!


So I got up this morning with domestic ambitions of sewing the starter badges on Baden's new shirt. I was feeling great! After all, I have my own sewing machine - bought it 6 years ago and even made a quilt with it. A few of you have seen said quilt, so you know it's true.

I had everything ready: shirt, badges, new matching thread, machine in pretty spot by the window, 4 year old daughter waiting to see Mommy Magic -


Wah. Wah. It took me 45 minutes to dust off my old new machine, thread the machine, remember the difference between a lower foot and pressure foot, change out my needle, figure out how to lower the pressure foot, practice on paper towels, fix my thread, fix my thread again, only to wind up with thread jammed so tight it won't budge! I believe I've got to take it apart like a copy machine to search out all the strays.

Kat had long since figured out there would be no magic performed by mommy and ran off to the play room. I wish I had followed. But alas, I texted a couple girls and within 5 minutes my trusty friend and Visiting Teacher, Amy Hick, was in my house checking over the damage. Her conclusion...iron on the badges and call it a day.

After my headache subsides I'll start my new endeavor.

It can't be that hard!

xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it helps, I always used fabric glue & then reinforced with a few handstitches to make sure they were anchored on well.

A couple of times I sewed on with my machine too, but I found it more awkward hauling out the machine.

How's the adoption process going? Any new news?

Melanie said...

HAHA! Well, if it helps, I think your sewing machine's long lost twin is sitting in MY closet, also awaiting me to finally feel inspired. I told it to not hold its breath or anything...