Monday, March 29, 2010

There's a Method to my Madness

The Chinn's had a sloooow start this morning. Which led to Baden missing the bus. Which led to me helping him get comfy on the couch and go back to sleep for a few minutes. And then a few more minutes.

Until he was late for school.

He was exceptionally tired this morning, and I just couldn't help letting him rest. And he's awfully cute when he's sleeping.
You should have seen Mr. Chinn though. His face read, "my wife is nuts." In his world, one is not late to school. School is sacred.

Mr. Chinn has an interesting motto: "If your head hurts at school, it's gonna hurt at home too, so you might as well be at school."

In my world, a morning power nap for my child [with untreated sleep apnea] makes perfect sense. Growing up, my mom-the-hippie (we had beads hanging in the doorway, no lie) would have let me sleep for hours and skip school. One time when I was in 4th grade my brother was staying home from school, for a very good reason I'm sure, so my mom let me stay home as well. This might, however, explain why grown-up Amy can't help May May with her 5th grade math. But I digress.

I'm pretty hung up on a lot of things, so I'm grateful for the part of me that is a free spirit. I don't care that Kat still sucks her thumb. If she wanted a pacifier I'd give it to her! I'm not concerned with my kids giving up their sippy cup or their special blanket. It doesn't bother me if your 3 year old wears a diaper and drinks from a bottle. I just can't get worked up over those kind of things.

I need and appreciate the balance Mr. Chinn brings to my life. I hope I help him fly. And I thank him for his tether.

xoxo

4 comments:

Krystal Grant said...

What a precious picture. When they get older, your kids are gonna dread it when you pop the picture out and show it to their significant others! And good job on not getting worked up over silly little things. Us supermoms have no time for trivial matters. Let Mr. Chinn worry about that. LOL

Amy C said...

LOL, Krystal you crack me up! Luvs!

Anonymous said...

Awww...a thumb sucker! How sweet. Little Adam does the same thing at 3 and it breaks my heart when he comes crying because his thumb has an "owie" (he sucks it so much it's getting sore & cracked!)

OK, did not know this about you & it just makes you more fabulous...ditching school to take a nap (Good Mom!) Very funny & very real and this was a great post!

Anonymous said...

Was SOOO unfair that she let you stay home!!! I was sick, you just asked!! (Yes I still remember lol)