
This is what it looks like at one of the entrances to Pompeii. Can you believe how green it is??
We docked in Sorrento for two days. I would love to stay with the whole family for two weeks. It is so beautiful and relaxing there. It's also very close to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast. It is green everywhere and all the houses keep colorful flowers outside in abundance. I absolutely love it.



My Abbey Road Picture. There are these large stones in the street so that people could walk across them and not get their feet yucky from whatever might be on the ground. I could live here.
This is someone's house - looking through the front door.
This is a picture of two slaves carrying something I can't remember. These types of dipictions were to allow others to know what kind of establishment it was.
This was a market. On the wall are pictures of the different items that could be purchased like bread and fish.
These are two casts of people who died in the 79 AD eruption, caught forever in the precise moment of their awful death.
This is Jim inside of one of my favorite houses.
This is the dining room.
Right next to it is the vomit room. Apparently it was bad manners for the guest to stop eating before the host. And it was important to the host the he show his guests how much food he could afford. Therefore: The Vomit Room.
They were right next to each other so the guest could get up, walk around the corner, relieve himself, and go right back to the table. Interesting.
These pictures are from a Bakery. Below is the oven. It's the same type of oven used today for pizza. Yum.
Fountain in the street.
Entry way in someone's home.
This is an ancient welcome matt that reads "Welcome Guests."
This last picture is from my favorite house again. The round stone in the middle actually goes a couple feet down into the ground. The owners would keep all different kinds of fresh fish in there. Then they would offer the different selections to their guests - "Sea Bass, Lobster..." Very cool.

I've loved Ancient Rome and Greece ever since I studied them in Junior High. Going to Pompeii was such a treat. I could happily stay a full week with a guide to walk around and tell me everything. If you know a good historical fiction book, let me know.

4 comments:
More! More! More!
I am loving reading & seeing the pictures...it's so cool because it is stuff I remember studying in school, but have never seen...it is just so fascinating.
What an awesome trip...I am totally inspired to maybe go one day!
i agree with amy, i loved seeing your pompeii pictures because I remember being fascinated while learning about it in school. so it was amazing to see it come to life. so interesting that there are certain things that carry over through the generations. like welcome mats for example. so weird. i will say i'm glad we evolved past the vomit room.
I never learned about any of this in school. Where was I? But it is so awesome to see! So beautiful, I am always amazed at stuff that has been around for so long.
Jen, I think you were living in England amongst the history. Poor thing.
Post a Comment